Friday, April 6, 2012

First World Problems.

Over Christmas break, I went to Caitlin's lake house in Fairlee, VT and she introduced me to a youtube video called "First World Problems." It's stuck with me, partly because it's hilarious and partly because it's completely true. I've found that I can classify the majority of my problems as first world only. I don't say that as like, "Oh, I can't believe my problems are all first world, I wish I had some third world problems." It's more like a reality check: maybe I should stop being annoyed that my blind is making that tapping sound as the wind blows it through my open window; at least I don't have to scavenge for food in a dumpster in order to feed my family.

As it is, though, it can be pretty funny to say "first world problem" when either you or someone around you is freaking out about something. Some recent examples:

Kraft mac'n'cheese tastes horrible the next day.

Pencil doesn't have an eraser.

Butter doesn't go to the bottom layers of my movie popcorn.

Tupperware lid isn't airtight (or rather, liquid-tight).

One square of toilet paper left on the roll.

Hand sanitizer smell burns.

Lexis-Nexis doesn't search Wall Street Journal.

Sherlock only has two seasons.

And those were only the ones I thought of in five minutes! Now that I'm in a sufficiently pessimistic mood after searching for all the things I'm frustrated with to turn them into FWPs, let's end this on a happy note. Instead of calling problems FWPs, President Monson gives some alternate advice:

"When we encounter challenges and problems in our lives, it is often difficult for us to focus on our blessings. However, if we reach deep enough and look hard enough, we will be able to feel and recognize just how much we have been given." The Divine Gift of Gratitude

Add your own FWPs, but think about how to recognize your blessings. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. all of my clothes wont fit in my small closet! FWP

    I ate too many salt water taffy's in one sitting and now my tummy hurts. FWP

    ReplyDelete