Monday, August 4, 2014

Inspired.

I've been thinking a lot about how to write this experience, but maybe that's the problem. So here goes.

I'm a runner. My knee-jerk reaction after writing that is to qualify it. While I can run and I do it regularly, I consider myself slow--a plodder, if you will. I can plod along for miles, but anything with speed doesn't really work with me. My large thighs reflect both my endurance and slow pace. I'm a ten-minute-mile girl, and I've accepted that about myself. 

A couple weeks ago my family gathered for a reunion. My sister Camille is training to qualify for the Boston Marathon and asked me to go on a run with her. She was running two 7.5 mile loops, and I agreed to go the first half with her with the qualification that we wouldn't go "too fast," and Camille assured me that I'd be fine. 

So we ran. It was a cool morning and a flat course. Camille read out our mile times from her phone as we went. 9:14, 8:48, 8:43, 8:38... was this happening? I, Olivia Swenson, stuck in my ten-minute-mile ways since sixth grade cross country, finished a 7 miler with an average of 8:45-minute miles.

Maybe it's silly to admit, but that run made me realize something very fundamental and incredibly important: I can do so much more than I think I can. This glimpse at my potential has made me realize areas in my life where I am selling myself short. Poo poo, you may say, running caused such an epiphany? Yes, and I am so grateful for it. My incredible (for me) long run and being with my amazing family for a week really helped me see how I can  be better, try harder, serve more. And instead of feeling intimidated, I feel empowered and inspired. 

happy as a clam with Julia at Bug Light

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You are so capable of doing whatever you set your mind to, and I love that you find inspiration in your daily life. Miss you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. It's very easy to sell yourself short but not so easy to recognize that you're doing it. This is just what I needed. And way to break out of the 10 minute mile!

    ReplyDelete