Monday, July 9, 2012

Catching up.


Spring Term (yes, this was a while ago)
Eight credits of A, 21 miles of Grand Canyon, and three weeks of vegan later, spring term has finally come to a surprisingly uneventful end. Here’s a description of some hi-lites:

School
I was initially worried about taking eight credits during a spring term, but I had nothing to worry about. Theories of International Relations (Pl Sc 370) turned out to be more interesting and less work than anticipated (great combination); Persuasive Writing (Eng 312) from Heidi Yates was one of my easier classes at BYU, which was fortunate because I found out six weeks into the course I didn’t actually need to take it, and it taught me an interesting new way to write (point last); Mission Preparation (Rel C 130) was really useful for helping me understand how to use Preach my Gospel more effectively, except now with the decision stated below, it won’t be as directly applicable as I had been planning. It was a good combination of classes since I didn’t sleep very much and I was out and about a lot.

Rim to Rim Grand Canyon
Over the long weekend in May for Memorial Day, Anne, Ellen, Addison and I made the trek to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where we met up with Anne’s siblings Robert and Sage, and their friend who had just hiked up from the South Rim that day. We camped out (Ellen’s first time!) in some random windy woods and tried to get some sleep before our 4:15 wake up alarm. On the trail by 5:20, we quickly warmed up as we passed Cottonwood (6 miles in) and Phantom Ranch (14 miles in) before crossing the Black Bridge for the last 7 mile, 6,000 foot elevation increase to get back out of the Canyon. There were some tears and probably some profanity, but we all made it in one piece. I can’t talk about hiking rim to rim without mentioning the sheer magnitude of that canyon. It is beyond comprehension and despite this being my third trip there, I want to go back again next year - and maybe do it like this guy suggests. Never have I felt so happy to feel so insignificant.
Addison, Anne, Ellen, me, and Robert at the end! So fun.
Black bean burgers and
potato-pepper kebabs.

21 Day Vegan Challenge
Ellen and I took up a 21-day Vegan Challenge, which was mentioned previously but never expounded on. I lost 10 lbs and maybe started liking vegetables a little more! Also, talk about successful experiment. I went in hoping to see any difference in my energy levels; I felt great the whole diet. I may have dreamed about cheese a few times and missed out on a few hamburgers at barbecues, but all in all I don’t regret it in the least. And we got to expose all our friends do the delicious options allowed to vegans in the form of a vegan barbecue. Some of our favorite recipes were the Chai Spice Pancakes, Black Bean Chili, Mango Salsa, and Curried Tomato Lentil Soup.


Sports
I love spring term because classes are free (for me) and usually easier, everyone’s happy with the warmth (except when it’s really hot and we don’t use our AC), and ultimate intramurals are happening. My team was great this year, and despite (or because of?) my overconfidence, we didn’t even get close to a championship shirt. I also revived what little softball skills I have to play for an Orem City League team, called Hoffman Tax and Accounting. I remembered why I hadn’t put on my glove earlier than this year: I don’t like playing things I’m bad at. But I couldn’t help getting carried away by the game. It felt good to bunt it down the third base line (lucky hit, not going to lie), tag a runner out at home, and run around the bases (usually after getting walked to first; I can’t hit for beans).

Deferment
While I mention events or things I did in the above summary of spring, there was a lot happening behind the scenes. Deferment basically means I’ve decided to postpone my mission for six months, effectively pushing my MTC departure date back from July 25 to January 25. Had the thought of deferment crossed my mind before I submitted my papers at the end of March, I would not have submitted them in the first place, but such is life. The reason for my decision comes in the form of a guy named Ben Young, an outstanding young man who I’ve had the pleasure of dating since May 4. It was an unexpected and difficult decision to make, but in the process I’ve learned a lot and I’m excited to see what happens come fall semester and beyond. Unfortunately for me, Ben is spending July and August taking classes at Cambridge, but there are always lessons to be learned from long distance :) Or so I tell myself.

1 comment: